Monday, August 04, 2014

A Laundry Room

I haven’t posted much on the house lately.  We were doing so well with painting and updating it; just need to get it going again.  The downstairs is almost done; minus our room and bathroom. 

I forgot to take a before shot of the laundry room, but just imagine a burnt orange color.   This really is one of my favorite rooms.  Although I say that about each room after I finish it, but I really do like my “new” laundry room. 

I always dreamed of a HUGE laundry room, but I guess I’m not meant to have one.  I have made my little space functional and warm.

Laundry Room After

This room will always stick in my mind due to the day Brian and his dad painted it was the day the tornado hit Tupelo.

Since it is a small space and the entry we come into the house everyday, I wanted a light welcoming blue.  Brian wasn’t too thrill about it when I picked it out, but once it was all completed he was surprised.  This is also my pantry too, there are cabinets on either side of the wall.  The far right, you see in the picture, is harder to get to so it houses cleaning supplies, vases, random item not used.  I would use it more, but Sunni’s litter box is over there too so one of the doors is hard to open without moving it. 

I made a simple shelf to go on top of the washer and dryer.  I had a piece of plywood cut, then I sanded and stained it.  It was harder than I expected to get these suckers leveled!  I do love how it looks with the wood against the blue wall and the white.  I added in hot pink as an accent color.  I made a simple curtain for window.  This was my first sewing project all on my own in quiet sometime.  Laundry Room After5It was enjoyable and quick. 

On the opposite wall I found a wall organizer for us to hang our many bags and coats!  I have a bag problem! But then again B doesn’t like using the same bag as me so we always have at least two diaper bags.  I then have my purse and another bag or two I carry to work.  I need to start using it for the function of holding mail and other things. This wall also has the door to the garage; which will remain unseen due to it’s an ugly door.  Add it to the never ending list of things we need to replace.  

One new fun thing I have started doing since re-doing the laundry room is, wait for it, making my own detergent.  Yes, I know!  I have toyed with the idea for awhile, but was always thought it was so hard to do, wrong!  I am obsessed now!  I was amazed at either how much detergent we were using or how much “grime” is left on the clothes.  Our towels have never felt cleaner until now; they no longer smell either.  Not only did I switched to handmade detergent, I got rid of our fabric softener and dryer sheets.  We now use this lovely little felt balls. They are wonderful!  I keep them stored in the little tin bucket you see sitting here.  The other jar is oxi-clean for an added boost when needed.
  Laundry Room After2

The iron you see is from Brian’s great grandmother’s house.  We were going through it getting things we wanted and we came across this.  I knew it was perfect for the laundry room.  I made a little clothes pin from in the hot pink to add a touch more

Laundry Room After3

2 comments:

Lisa Blair said...

This looks great! I love having "top" on top of my w+d, too. So helpful! Tell me about your laundry soap recipe! I stopped using dryer sheets a while back, too.

Leah Maria said...

Lisa, the recipe is super simple!
1 bar of Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap in your choice of scent. (I use lavender)
1 cup washing soda (Arm & Hammer is what I use)
1 cup borax
1 cup oxy-clean; optional

Grate the bar of soap. Mix all ingredients together and store in container. I doubled the recipe when I made it for the first time. Use 1 tablespoon per load, 2 if it's a large load.

I was amazed at how clean feeling my clothes felt after the first use! Sort of scary too to think of all the gunk on our clothes. I love my wool dryer balls too; I scent them with different essential oils.