Monday, October 13, 2014

Zoey’s Room

For the past few months (really almost a year now if you count when I first mentioned to B that I wanted to take the side off Zoey’s crib), I have been talking about and working on Zoey’s new room.  Her “big” girl room.  Late this summer I finally got going. We cleaned out the spare bedroom and got it painted. 

After getting the walls painted, I decided I did not like the original bedding I had ordered from Pottery Barn Kids.  It just didn’t go with the light purple Zoey and I picked out for her room.  Back to square one.  I finally decided on white and grey for the bedding.  I already had a white duvet cover and a down duvet, so I got a grey bedspread and pillow shams to go with it. 

We were lucky enough to have a bedroom suite of B’s great grandmother’s given to us for Zoey.  It was in need of a some work.  I decided to paint it white and distress it.  I was a littler nervous about the process; it would be my first BIG painting project.  I am now taking a break from painting furniture; I’m worn out. I am very pleased with the end result and she can grow with it for years to go.  Sure she doesn’t need the vanity now, but she will love it when she gets older.  I loved mine when I was younger.

We have been keeping it a surprise for her.  Zoey knows about her new room and that it will be purple, but I wanted to wait until it was completed before showing her.  This past weekend, she went to my parents and we got it ready!  I am so happy with it and would love to spend all my time in there.  I hope she loves it!

ZoeyRoom 001

We saw the lights in a movie over a little girl’s bed and thought it was a nice touch.  Also Zoey has mentioned lately she is scared of the dark, so we thought this might be a pretty way to do a night light for her.

Bedding: White duvet; one I already had.  Grey quilt and shams; Kohl’s.
Throw pillow: Kohl’s
Rug: Pottery Barn Kids
Curtains: Pottery Barn Kids
Furniture: B’s great grandmother Murff’s.  Painted white with Annie Sloan Pure White chalk paint, clear wax, lightly distressed.

ZoeyRoom 002

View from the corner.  (Now on that wall is the three fairy godmothers picture that is was in her nursery.)  The purple pieces on the vanity are pieces of purple Fenton Glass I had when I was younger.  I completely forgot about these pieces until I was going through the box of birthday dolls to get the 2 out.  It was perfect touch; even if B did make fun of the fact I had them to match.

Rug: Pottery Barn Kids
Curtains: Pottery Barn Kids
Furniture: B’s great grandmother Murff’s.  Painted white with Annie Sloan Pure White chalk paint, clear wax, lightly distressed.

ZoeyRoom 004

This room is a tad bigger than her nursery. I was happy to see that the house bookshelf would fit between the closets.  I still have to paint the pink part grey.  I did not do that due to I was not a 100% sure if I would be putting this piece back in her room.  You cannot see well, but on the nightstand there is a purple mason jar with flowers and a few other pieces of purple Fenton Glass.

Bookshelf: Given to me by my sister.  It was my youngest nieces. 
Mirrored picture frame on wall: TJ Maxx
Nightstand: repurposed one we had.

ZoeyRoom 005

When I made the bed up Saturday, I wanted to climb in and take a nap.  It’s so cozy looking!  I made the ribbon mobile to hang over the bed.  I won’t mind so much now when Zoey wants me to lay down with her.  This will beat laying in the floor next to the crib!

ZoeyRoom 006

The chest of drawers.  Currently on top is her birthday dolls, passed down from me, a piece of Fenton glass, a picture of B and Krista when they were younger, and the monitor.  I have one of me and my sister coming to put on there as well. I’m not quite ready to give up the monitor yet.  It comes in handy with her being upstairs while we are downstairs.

ZoeyRoom 007

Another view of the bed.  At the foot of her bed is the toy chest her great uncle Steve made for her when she was born.  I finally got around to finishing it as well. Hopefully she will keep her toys in it and her closets!  I did not realize how much more room the closets in this room had. 

Tonight when she comes home she will see it for the first time.  I cannot wait to see her reaction to it! I hope she loves it as much as I do!

No comments: